Princeton Museum--District History
In 1955, after deliberating for two years, nine schools in eight small school districts --Crescentville, Evendale, Glendale, Sharonville, Springdale, Stewart, Runyan, and
Woodlawn --consolidated to form the Princeton School District. Of these eight districts, only Glendale and Sharonville had high schools. The Village of Glendale had two schools -- Eckstein and Glendale School. High School students from the other districts attended Glendale School or Sharonville School, or chose another high school in Hamilton County. The District took its name from the “PR” phone prefix used in the area and from Princeton Pike, a major thoroughfare crossing the new district.
The Princeton School Board was very busy overseeing the construction of elementary schools, a Junior High and Senior High school during the late ‘50s and early ‘60s. Princeton High School construction began on the original Chester Rd. site in 1957, thanks to a generous donation of 30 acres of land from Marianna Matthews.
In the 1958-1959 school year, Princeton dedicated Woodlawn Elementary, Stewart Elementary, the Runyan School addition and Princeton High School. The first graduating class from the new high school graduated in 1959. The district became the Princeton City School District in 1961 because Sharonville attained “City” status. This year also brought the dedication of Heritage Hill Elementary and Evendale Schools. The Junior High dedication was in 1962.
Things were changing at the end of the decade too. Construction began on the district’s middle school, later named RELIS after Robert E. Lucas, the only superintendent the district had had. Then, in 1970, the district merged with Lincoln Heights, bringing the Princeton City School district to its current boundaries of Evendale, Glendale, Lincoln Heights, Sharonville, Springdale, Woodlawn and portions of Blue Ash, Deerfield Township, Springfield Township, and West Chester Township. From these areas, Princeton High School draws one of the most diverse student bodies of any school in the area.
The Board reviewed district facilities in 1996 and again in 2001. By the fall of 2002, the Board initiated action to address the current facilities needs of the district. District residents expressed a desire to update the community elementary schools, deferring new high school and junior high construction till a later date. The sixth graders from all elementary schools moved to the Junior High in the fall of 2004, making the new Princeton Community Middle School. The new Lincoln Heights, Sharonville, Springdale, Stewart, and Woodlawn elementary schools opened on August 31 for the 2006-2007 school year. The new Evendale Elementary and renovated Glendale Elementary opened in Fall 2007. Heritage Hill Elementary was the last of the elementary schools to open--opening in January 2008.
The Princeton Facilities Plan was complete for the elementary schools. The high school and middle school were then addressed. In 2008 a bond levy to build a new high school and middle school failed by 152 votes. The 2010 Board of Education unanimously approved a vote for a bond program to build a new high school and middle school. The bond levy passed and construction on the new facility began in the spring of 2011. The Middle School opened August 2013, the High School August 2014 and Viking Village August 2015. The athletic fields across Chester Rd. opened Spring 2016.
The Valley Courier published a 14 page section on the history of the Princeton School District in 2007 commemorating Princeton High School's 50th anniversary. A PDF version of the section is available below.
vin88 chơi trò chơiMyron Luke, the first Museum Curator for the district, wrote a comprehensive history of the district through 1981 for the 25th anniversary. See below for the file.
vin88 chơi trò chơiListen to Princeton High School's 1960 marching band perform the Alma Mater, Go Princeton! March of the Vikings and Across the Field.